Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What's the deal with Reality TV?




Tonight M-Net airs the first episode of SA's version of Celebrity Survivor. I've never really been a big Survivor fan, but I'm going to watch this one purely for the celebrity factor. Where else will we get to see Cindy Nell and Christina Storm roughing it? I personally cannot wait! Wait a minute, it's still early and I'm already wishing it was 7.30pm - what's wrong with me? The same thing happened on Sunday afternoon with the first episode of American Idol. How do these reality shows suck us in, keep us hooked, and have us eagerly awaiting the next episode - as if we have no life of our own?

This got me thinking of all the reality shows I've watched over the past few years, and there are plenty! I blame DSTV, which now fortunately (or unfortunately) I don't have. I've narrowed down my favourits and least favourites. Which ones did you love, which did you hate, and which kept you unashamedly glued to your screen?




   My all time "glued-to-the-screen" favourites:
- American Idol:  Two words - Simon Cowell
- The Apprentice:  Got to love Donald Trump and his famous "You're fired!" line.
- Punk'd:  America's version of Leon Schuster, only better!
- Wife Swap:  Is anything better than a Christian mom who trades with a Goth mom?!
- Extreme Makeover - Home Edition:  Love, love, love this show!
- Momma's Boys:  32 women, 3 single men.....and their mothers! Need I say more?




   When there's really nothing better on TV:
- Fear Factor:  Creepy, disgusting, scary - pretty entertaining when you're in the mood for it.
- America's Next Top Model:  Two words - cat fights!
- The Biggest Loser:  Great motivation to stop eating those little cup cakes.
- The Bachelor:  People trying to find love on TV...something's just not right here.





  You couldn't pay me to sit through these!
- The Swan:  Plastic surgery + highlights + contact lenses = happiness. I think not.
- Big Brother Africa.  Boring, boring, boring. Bring back Ferdi, Brad and Margaret!
- Cheaters:  If you've seen one episode, you've seen them all.





Ok M-Net, now you've got our attention, I know I'll be watching you later. With all the hype around this Celebrity Survivor, let's hope it lives up to the expectations. Tonight, 7.30pm - let the games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment