Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Dread gym? Never! I LOVE my gym!

That's right, you heard me - I LOVE my gym! Now I'm definently not one of those people who you'd find spending hours in the gym just to show off my surf board tummy or beefed up upper arms; nor would you find me standing around chatting to guys in my designer "gym" gear, without a hairband or drop of sweat in sight. This always amused me when I used to go to Virgin Active, but it got to the point where I actually just wanted to go gym and not worry about everyone checking each other out, or feeling like I needed to blob on a ton of makeup and pitch up in Addidas or Reebok gear. That's when I just stopped going to gym altogether.

Last year I realised that I needed to go out and do something, this staying at home and attempting to do home excersises with zero motivation just wasn't going to cut it anymore. So, I did an internet search and found a "woman's only" gym that was around the corner from me and didn't charge a R600 - R900 joining fee (I kid you not - this is what they're charging!)

The most obvious reason why I love this gym is that I get to go in my oldest clothes, without a trace of makeup on and actually feel good about doing it! Ladies proudly gym with their flab, grannies take it easy on the treadmill, teenagers enjoy a gym session after school -  women of all ages, races, shapes and sizes frequent this gym, and it's awesome! No one judges you because no one cares.




So what's so special about their classes? Besides the fact that they offer a "Preggies Mom's" class, they also offer a class that I'm crazy about - Hip Hop! I've been dancing for most of my life, it's in my blood and I love it. I starting ballet at the age of 5, and continued to modern dancing in my teens. I'm generally not someone who likes a lot of attention, and who tends to be a bit quiet at times, BUT when I dance I feel as though I'm an entirely different person - it's my place to just express myself. Finally, finally -  I'm able to pick up my passion again!





A dance class, a gym with no men and daily saving on makeup - that's great, but what about the rest? I'd be lying if I told you I wasn't sold the minute I walked into this gym for the first time. Views to die for in front of all the treadmills and bikes, a coffee bar, suede couches scattered around the gym to relax on, two bathrooms and a steam room! The staff from the bigger gyms have nothing on these guys.  Really, how often do the receptionists, consultants and the manager make a point of asking you how you are? I dare anyone else to tell me that their gym is better, I highly doubt it! This gym is truly a little gem, and I can't wait to get there every day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment