The last time I had really bad insomnia was when I was in Matric and busy writing exams. Since then, I've slept like a baby every night...every night until last night. I don't know what it was, but my brain refused to let me go to sleep. I couldn't stop thinking about things, it was like there was a movie playing in my head that just wouldn't turn off! I tried all the usual remedies - counting sheep, I got up and made myself a cup of milo, I read a few pages from my book....but nothing seemed to help. 3am was the last time I looked at the clock and I'm not sure what time I eventually got to sleep.
I found a few useful sites on insomnia, trust good old google to have all the answers - let's hope a few of these help tonight or when next insomnia decides to strike.
Well Known Remedies for Insomnia
- Eat a bedtime snack
- Avoid caffeine, alcohol and nicotine
- Sleep in a well-ventilated room
- Get some physical excercise during the day
- If you can't sleep, get up
- Avoid illuminated bedside clocks
- Get up earlier
- Drink herbal tea / warm milk
- Take a warm bath / have a massage
- Avoid stimulating activity or stressful situations before bed
- Practice deep breathing
- Yoga and meditation
- And of course counting sheep or other animals helps for some!
And for interests sake, a few common causes of Insomnia...
- Are you under a lot of stress?
- Are you depressed? Do you feel emotionally flat or hopeless?
- Do you struggle with chronic feelings of anxiety or worry?
- Have you recently gone through a traumatic experience?
- Are you taking any medications that might be affecting your sleep?
- Do you have any health problems that may be interfering with sleep?
- Is your sleep environment quiet and comfortable?
- Do you try to go to bed and get up around the same time every day?