Thursday, April 7, 2011

Ten years ago today...

 Today, 10 years ago Geoff and I went on our very first date.

I'll never forget that day and I can still remember exactly what I wore. It must have been a cool Autumn evening because I decided on wearing a long black skirt, boots, a long sleeved grey and black top, and a grey jersey. I didn't have my licence and wasn't driving yet, so my Mom dropped me off at Tygervalley - we thought it would be better to meet there. I clearly remember the conversation that went on during the drive there, a lecture about how this was just not the way to do it and that I'd better introduce this guy to them, and fast.  I remember being really annoyed, but it did get rid of a few nerves at the same time!

I met Geoff under the stairs at Spur and we decided to watch Miss Congeniality. It wasn't until after the movie came out on DVD that I actually paid attention and followed the storyline! I was so nervous sitting next to him in the cinema and I wasn't paying any attention to what was happening on the screen in front of us.  I kept putting my hand on the movie chair's armrest in the hope that he would take it. Just as I was about to give up, it happened - he grabbed my hand and held it in his, and it was the most wonderful feeling in the world.

After the movie, we went to a coffee shop and had cokes and chips. Talking wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, and we were really just starting to get comfortable with each other when I happened to look over his shoulder. Wouldn't you know it but there casually walking around and having a good old look at the two of us, was my family. I was mortified. Luckily, they had the good sense to keep walking and not come over to say hello!

The evening ended off with a somewhat awkward hug at the mall entrance. There was definitely no way that our first kiss was going to be in front of my family, let alone a bunch of strangers!

I can't believe that we've been together for 10 years already, it really feels like only yesterday that we went on this date, not knowing a thing about each other. Little did we know that six years later we'd be married, and 10 years later we'd be looking back at this very day.

No comments:

Post a Comment