Sunday, April 3, 2011

My latest obsession: Food Network Channel

Ever since we signed on to DSTV earlier this year, I've been slightly hooked on watching the Food Network Channel. There's an endless variety of shows to suit anyone on this channel, and in order to make myself feel better about watching them, I remind myself that they are both entertaining AND educational! Perfect couch-blobbing-TV-viewing for those cold and rainy winter days coming up.

You've got your step-by-step cooking shows with entertaining cooking hosts that include: Barefoot Contessa, 10 Dollar Dinners, Paula's Best Dishes, Guy's Big Bite and Boy Meets Grill.  Then, for something a little out of the ordinary there's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, and this will leave you wishing you lived in the States without a care in the world for your wasteline! Every time I watch this show,  I can't help but want to eat a huge greasy burger and fries covered in cheese sauce! The show Unwrapped uncovers a world behind mass produced products and gives an interesting behind the scenes look at how candy and other American favourites are made right from the factory until the point where they arrive on the shelves of hundreds of retail outlets. My favourite shows though are the cooking competition shows, and they include: Top Chef, Chopped, Food Network Channel Challenge and Ultimate Recipe Throwdown. These shows, though highly entertaining, don't come close in comparison to an all time favourite and classic that unfortunately is no longer on air,  Ready, Steady, Cook - hosted by the legendary chef, Ainsley Harriot.

For those of us who don't have a decent recipe cookbook in the kitchen, this channel provides a convenient and entertaining alternative.

This week I made North African Meatballs with Cous Cous, a recipe I'd seen recently on Melissa D'Arabian's show (Ten Dollar Dinners).  The combination of a few key ingredients in this recipe really give it that exotic flavour and include: lemon zest, ginger, cumin, cinnamon, olives, dates and white wine. I was  surprised at the flavours that came out of this meal and I could literally picture myself sitting somewhere in Morocco, eating this spicy and delicious meal!



It's the perfect comfort food for one of those cold, wintery nights coming up. Here's the recipe, enjoy!

North African Meatballs & Cous Cous

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy!!!!!!!! I love cous cous!!!!!!!! Its just so easy. Ohhh and the Food Network channel is my weight gainer. I swear, I gain a few just watching it. Plus, whenever, I fast, for some reason, its the only channel I turn too. I know, I love to torture myself. Have a wonderful Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same, don't worry! This channel is evil to watch when you're trying to diet, but I just can't help myself. Thought of you when making this, and of the food you made while in Nigeria :)

    ReplyDelete