Friday, July 2, 2010

South Africa: It's a Love-Hate Relationship!


I wasn't born in South Africa and will always be a true Namibian at heart, but over the last 14 years I've really grown to love, and hate this country.

       For the LOVE of SA:
  • Our weather, we are truly blessed to not have things like tornadoes, hurricanes and snow storms! We have great summers, and our winters aren't that cold.
  • How many other countries have 11 official languages in one country?!
  • Nelson Mandela
  • Cape Town. From Table Mountain, to the V&A Waterfront, Kirstenbosch Gardens, the Cape Winelands, Greenmarket Square, Kalk Bay, Camps Bay and Big Bay - we've got it all!
  • Kruger National Park 
  • Cape Point
  • District 9
  • Our many different cultures
  • Bobotie, curry & rice, snoek, braai, vetkoek, koeksisters, biltong and Mrs. Balls chutney!

      Things I HATE about SA:
  • Our technology is still quite far behind other first world countries.
  • Crime. Not sure about everyone else, but as much as I'd love to take a jog around my neighbourhood by myself, I just don't feel safe doing it. So I don't, and I hate that.
  • Racism. Let's face reality, as much as we all want this to be a 'rainbow nation' - it's never going to happen. It's sad that some people have to hold a grudge, and I'm talking about all races here. Sometimes I wish I was back in Namibia, maybe I was too young, but I had friends of all races and never felt the hate that I feel here.
  • Golden Arrow buses, unsafe taxi's and shoddy trains. We have a long way to go with our transportation system.
  • Eskom
  • Government:  Parties, private jets, wives & luxuries....and then the poor, homeless, etc. Need I say more?
  • Some sport team players picked purely on race and not talent. The same goes with some of the top corporate positions. Really not good.
  • How the rest of the world views us. Hopefully the 2010 Soccer World Cup will change some of that.

For the most part, I think we are really lucky to live in such a beautiful country. Still, I wouldn't mind going to sleep at night and feeling 100% safe, or taking a walk somewhere and not having to have an extra pair of eyes at the back of my head.


What do you love or hate about our country? Do you think other countries have as much issues as us?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment