Monday, October 18, 2010

Changes

So, here I was thinking at the beginning of the year that this would be the year that my little business would really take off. Little did I know that 10 months later I would be Au Pairing half day, close down the business and go back to full day work!

Life has a very funny way of working out....

This experience has made me realise that you really can't predict anything in life. There is fate and there is destiny, and some things are just meant to be. I'm so grateful for the experience of starting up my own business, and running it for the year and a half that I did. You learn so much about yourself when you have to put your product, service and yourself out there! I know now that the timing was just wrong, and who knows - maybe I will pursue this again in 5 years time on a part time basis, one simply never knows!

I am SO excited to be going back to full day work though! Working with people again, finishing work at a set time, taking leave and getting a salary at the end of each month...yes please! :) The strange part of this story is that I am going back to work for a company that I left 2 years ago. Things weren't great back then (which is why I left) - but having applied for so many positions over the last month or so, I heard about the open position and the agency I'm with asked if they could forward my CV through. I decided to just give it a go, you never know unless you try, right? When I went for the interview I could see that there was a vast improvement from when I left. By this I mean a brand new and bigger building, a lot more staff (they've expanded), procedures and structures in place, a recreational area with pin ball machines, etc. I couldn't believe my eyes! Was this the same company that I had so adamantly wanted to leave?!  It was then and there that I decided I really wanted to go back. I really had enjoyed my time working there, except for the reasons why I left. This past Friday I received confirmation and the letter of offer that I had got the position! Woo Hoo! A lot of people applied for this job, so I was really overwhelmed when I heard that they wanted me back.


Even stranger (or as fate would have it), the new building is a stones throw away from where Geoff is working - literally next door. So, we will both be working in Stellenbosch now and have decided to move to Somerset West as we will need to travel in two cars every day.  This is a HUGE change, as we've both lived in the Northern Subs since childhood. It's going to take some time to set in, and I know it's not that far from Durbanville - but not having my parents 10 minutes away is really going to take some getting used to.

The next couple of months are going to be very interesting, full of positive change, stability and excitement (with a little dash of stress I imagine!).

2 comments:

  1. Move to Stellies man. You guys will LOVE it there. I think this is super cool! COngrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cath! :) Would LOVE to move to Stellies as that would be ideal, but it is just way too expensive :/ Besides S/West has the mall, a gym, sports grounds, and is en route to the beach! Hehe, can't wait to move! :)

    ReplyDelete